Thursday, June 2, 2011

Making Rounds 10

  I thought it would be a good time to find an agent and maybe get some paying work.I mean why not, if I could keep 50 people in a small theater entertained, why not 50 million. I knew other actors, that I didn't think were as good as me that had agents, mostly for commercials. You don't have to be a great actor , or even mediocre, to do commercials. You have to get the auditions and be right on the money, type wise.

So, me and Teresa started making the rounds of agents and casting offices. You rarely get to speak to anyone except the receptionist who guided you to a basket to put unsolicited pics and resumes and they would call if interested.

Wow, wouldn't it be great to get any kind of acting job doing anything, anywhere. I soon discovered that the few off-off Broadway shows I did made absolutely no impression on the agents. One saw potential in me and would submit my pic and resume to the casting people for various projects. I received NOT ONE audition from their submissions. I found most casting people were snotty and had no respect for actors just starting out. I can understand their attitude in looking back.

Agents naturally look to see if they can make money off you.They are essentially sales persons and if you have no industry credits and not a beautiful 20 year old, they are not interested. You can tell them about all the plays you did and the classes you took, nobody cares. One agent, who took the time to talk to me, said in order for me to be taken seriously I had to add some prestige to my career.

I would have quit, after a year of this rejection from the business end of the business, but I was still having fun and committed myself to the long run. I never made rounds again and never lowered myself to beg for work or representation, I'll wait for them to come to me.

I received a call from Tanden on 14th Street. They were going to do Edward Albee's "The Zoo Story" and there was a great part for me. I wasn't crazy about working there again,small audience and no reviews, but needed to get back on stage as I couldn't afford acting classes anymore.

I went to the Drama Bookshop and picked up the play and started reading it in the back of the store.Now, the Drama Book shop is where a lot of failed actors worked to pay their rent and stay close to the business.They were more snotty than the agents and treated you like you didn't belong in their store.

I was hooked on the play right away.It took me totally by surprise and I laughed almost uncontrollably while reading Jerry's story. The play was such a great mixture of humor and tragedy. I couldn't put it down and read the whole play, it's just one act, right there.Several of the employees gave me dirty looks but I didn't care, they had to work in this stuffy store while I was going to do this fantastic play.

No comments:

Post a Comment