Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Turning Point 20

After I was approved by everyone at the Public Theater , I had to wait two months to go into rehearsal. Well, doing a play at this theater was a goal that I wondered if I would ever attain. I was told when I started out that no one would take me seriously and take a chance on me unless I added prestige to my career. This would do it. Major film stars were first noticed at the Public theater and now they would notice me. The O'Neil was great and it got me this job but now I was going to be put in front of the most sophisticated audience in New York , be reviewed by the New York Times and be on stage with not only good actors but connected ones.

For the first time since I went on this path ,I relaxed. I didn't pick up a copy of backstage, to check the up coming auditions, for the first time in years. In fact I was offered a part at the Pittsburgh Public theater that were doing a production of "Mr. Roberts" and I had to turn it down. At any other point over the last 6 years I would have jumped at the chance to work at any major regional theater, that would put me up and give me a good salary, like I was being offered at the Pittsburgh Public Theater and with all the fringe benefits that go along with it. But the time line conflicted with the NY Public and I had to turn it down. The Pitt. CD said I should take what is guaranteed now. He was right, there was no guarantee, somebody could change their mind. But I was going all in this time.

It was funny, but when I told other actors what was happening, they didn't seem that impressed. Actors always talk about what they have in the fire and are mostly optimistic and say they have this going on or that going on for them but until it happens, it is not real.

While waiting for this new venture to begin, I got myself in the best shape of my life.I rode my bike from Astoria ,Queens to Jones Beach in Long Island every other day. When I went into the city, instead of taking the subway, I rode my bike over the 59th Street bridge. After two months of this, my stomach flattened and my leg muscles bulged.

The first day of rehearsal came and I was ready. It was to be a workshop production, which meant it would not be reviewed until the theater felt the play was ready. Workshop or not, less money than I thought, I didn't care, this was going to be a turning point for me.

The character I was playing, Howard Fishbein, is a homeless writer that runs into the hero of the play and asks for a quarter. I am in the first scene in the play, I open the second act and I close the play in the last scene of the play when my character goes through a major change in his life. So, my character was very important to the plays success or failure.

Rehearsals went pretty smooth and I was given liberty to find the character on my own. The style was fast paced, so any pauses or slowdowns in delivery had to be completely justified.

The first performance came and the audience was full. These were not the normal theater goers but professionals in the industry, actors, directors and writers. I couldn't wait to get on stage and show them who I was and that I belong there.

Like I said, I had the first scene in the play.I entered through the audience, while the lead character was on stage  hailing a cab. I walked through the audience and just at the moment when I stepped onto the stage, an arm grabbed from behind. I swung around surprised and shocked. It was the security guard thinking I was a real homeless and try to throw me out in front of the whole audience. I whispered loud and angry that I was part of the play. The guard, not sure what to do, let me go but stood right there, ready to jump me if I was lying. I said my first line and he went away. The audience, tense now, did not laugh once during the scene.

After the incident with the security guard I went back to the dressing room as angry as I could get. Here I am, making my Off Broadway debut and the security guard almost throws me out of the theater. Anyway, I wanted to go back out and beat the shit out of the guard for ruining my debut. Luckily, one of the actors held me back. The rest of the performance went OK and after the show everyone complimented me on my authenticity , as this had never happened in the whole history of the Public Theater.




No comments:

Post a Comment